As I’ve been saying, all the commandments of God find their place in the structure outlined below. For each of the next ten days, I want to say something about each of the Ten Commandments. I will present them to you repeating this context, emphasizing in bold print the commandment I will briefly address that day. The term “briefly” is very important because I will only be giving a taste of the commandment’s meaning. There is much, much more to be said about each commandment than I will say in these posts. But I can get you started, and the Lord will say more in your heart as you meditate on His word.
- You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
- 1 – You shall have no other gods before Me.
- 2 – You shall not make for yourself an idol.
- 3 – You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
- 4 – Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.
- You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
- 5 – Honor your father and your mother.
- 6 – You shall not murder.
- 7 – You shall not commit adultery.
- 8 – You shall not steal.
- 9 – You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- 10 – You shall not covet.
We are creatures designed to worship. We cannot help it; it is how we are wired. Therefore, if we do not worship the one true God, we will worship some other god or gods. As night follows day, we will surely serve a false god if we ignore the true One.
God’s commandment is that we worship only Him, but notice how easy it is for human beings to forsake the One who created them.
Atheists think that they are refusing to worship, but instead they are simply misplacing their worship. The atheist worships himself…or others…or mammon…or…whatever – anyone or anything but the one true God. An atheist who thinks he is worshiping nothing is blind to his own behavior and completely deceived.
Some people put their children before God. Some people put their career before God. Some people put ideology before God. Some people put popularity before God. There is no end to the false gods that people can accumulate and serve.
According to the structure of God’s commandments, you cannot truly love people unless you first love God – the One who made you and redeemed you.
Clear your life of all other gods and serve only Jesus. This is a resolution you must renew and observe each and every day if you want to please Him.