Six Objections to the Trinity – 1 of 6

1 of 6:  The trinity concept contends for attention with the New Testament’s focus on Christ (that is, it obscures God’s mystery, Christ, and replaces it with man’s mystery, the trinity).

The choice is simple: you can either follow Christ, or you can try to follow a God who is supposed to be a trinity of which Christ is a part.

It’s much simpler, and more biblical, to live for our Lord Jesus Christ.

To learn more about Christ versus the Trinity, see:

There Is No Trinity; There Is Christ

Posts to Date on the Trinity Versus Christ

Bible notes on this post.

The purpose of this blog is to proclaim Jesus Christ to those who want to hear about Him without having to join a church – or anything else – but Him.

This entry was posted in Jesus Christ and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Six Objections to the Trinity – 1 of 6

1. Brandon E says:

I don’t see why God being triune–that is, the Father, Son, and Spirit eternally co-existing (distinct) and co-inhering (but never separate)–must necessarily distract us from Christ.

Was the apostle Paul distracting us from Christ Himself when he wrote, “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all” (2 Cor. 13:14) or “For through Him [Christ] we both have access in one Spirit unto the Father” (Eph. 2:18), or “For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father…That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man, That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith…” (Eph. 3:14-17) or “That with one accord you may with one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Rom. 15:6)?

No, the apostle Paul was not distracting us when he wrote those things. But we are distracting ourselves if we superimpose the trinity doctrine as a way to interpret those verses.

As for how the trinity doctrine distracts from following Christ, see:

A Trinity-Consciousness Obscures a Christ-Consciousness

Let Nothing Obscure the Preeminence of Christ

Christ Is the Focal Point of Our Faith: The Trinity Concept Obscures This

Ten Ways That the Trinity Contradicts Christ

Ten Ways That the Trinity Displaces Christ

• Brandon E says:

Hi Mike,
        Your reasoning in those posts is fallacious, because a trinitarian can (and I would strongly say ought) believe that the Son is the center, content, embodiment, and expression of the triune Godhead. The Son is the embodiment and expression of the Father, and the Spirit guides us into this reality. The Father says “Behold My Son, the Beloved, hear Him!” (but note that implies that the Father and Son distinctly co-exist). The Spirit speaks not from Himself but reveals Christ (but note that this implies that the Son and the Spirit distinctly co-exist). All we need then to show that God is “triune” is to show from Scripture that the Father, Son, and Spirit are eternally God. And if even the triune God is Christocentric then what better reason for us to be Christocentric.

All the verses you list in the “Ten Verses as Trinitarians would have them” are consistent with what I just described to you. Besides, no thoughtful trinitarian thinks that the words “Christ” and “trinity” are freely interchangeable in Scripture any more than the words “Father,” “Son,” and “Spirit” and “God.”

Let’s take an example. Does “the Lord” in Psalm 27:1 refer to the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, or the trinity?

• Brandon E says:

The Lord (Yahweh, or Jehovah) is the entire God (triune) embodied in the Son.

You’re saying that the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit are in the Son?

• Brandon E says:

Yes, or rather that the Father, the Son, and the Spirit are embodied in Him. Col. 2:9. This was revealed more fully when the Lord Jesus came. When the Son of God was on the earth the Father was in Him (John 14:10-11), He expressed the Father, and He did everything through the Father who was in Him through the power of the Spirit.

It’s hard enough for me to understand how three could be one, much less how the three that is one could be in one of the three that comprise it.

• Brandon E says:

The infinite, eternal God is beyond the full mental understanding of our finite, time-and-spatially-bound minds. If we could fully get our finite minds around “God,” we would find that what we have is less than God. “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30). “Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me?” (John 14:10). I don’t fully comprehend it, but I say Amen to it.

God’s not for our mere mental understanding, but for our belief, experience, participation, and enjoyment.

2. Brandon E says:

Those who began using the language of “triune,” “trinity,” “persona,” “hypostases,” etc. to summarize and describe the revelation in Scripture were not trying to fully define or explain God. It only became necessary in order combat heresies that contradicted the biblical revelation. For instance, modalism/Sabellianism contradicted the scriptural passages that portray the Father, Son, and Spirit as distinct and as existing simultaneously and interacting. Arianism contradicted the biblical revelation that Christ the Son was and is truly God, and not a separate, lesser “God” created by the Father. Among these, all agreed that there was one eternal God, so “substantia” and “ousia” was used to describe the one eternal, divine nature of God that made God truly God. “Persona” and “hypostases” were adopted as neutral terms to describe the simultaneously-existing distinctions between the Father, Son, and Spirit.

Probably a lot of trinitarians do commonly get stuck on mere mental understanding. But we’re all prone to this kind of thing. Knowing Christ, not just knowing the correct things about Christ, is part of genuine spiritual growth and transformation unto Christ in the Body life. Any doctrine about God, words about God, even the Bible itself, can become a distraction from God Himself. Even our talk of making Christ preeminent can be a linguistic hall of mirrors. In the end, we do need truthful understanding, but God is not ultimately for our mere understanding but that we would enjoy and experience Him.

Rightly do you say that “knowing Christ” is the most important thing. Of all the things about which we have spoken, this is the most important. Of all the things any human being could do, this is the most important.

To know Christ is to learn from Him and learn about Him. It is also to imitate Him for “it takes one to know one.” It is to see Him as both the center and the circumference of life. We must say like Paul, “To live is Christ.”

Nothing is more important.

• Susanne Schuberth (Germany) says:

‘Nothing is more important’ than ‘knowing Christ’. This is absolutely true, Mike.

If I could live my life again just dedicating all of my life to Him by building my world around Him, I start pondering about it, and wonder how my life could look like. It seemed to me that everywhere and every moment to be born again is like a brand new day; someday that started with dawning after being painfully surrounded by the darkness.

This painful “night”, indeed, has been teaching me a lesson that I never learned in the light so that I knew what to do and that is living with JESUS. Despite all darkness and pain, today I am convinced: It will all be worth it from the very beginning till the end of my whole life.

Thus I know what the most important thing in my life would be: to be forever by His side cause there’s no greater love in this world that one might ever know. Oh, how I would miss Him and all the love only He can give!!

PS
        Sorry for my emotional outburst 😉

3. Pingback: Posts to Date on the Trinity Versus Christ | A Nonchurchgoer's Guide to Jesus and His Kingdom

4. Pingback: Bibles Notes on “Six Objections to the Trinity – 6 of 6″ at Bible Notes for "A Nonchurchgoer's Guide to Jesus and His Kingdom"